Would your kids call you a fun mom? Think about that for a second… are you way too consumed with adulting to notice that your kids really need a mom who is happy and fun?
Look, I get it. I can be as uptight as they come! I spent my early years as a mom focused on getting all the things done and doing what I called “putting out fires” every day. I missed soooo much when my girls were little. And the funny thing is, I’ve been a stay-at-home mom since my first daughter was born. So I’ve always been there!
I’ve been with my kids from the very beginning. It’s crazy how disconnected I was sitting right next to them.
I was determined to change that when my son was born three years ago. I made a decision to become the mom I really wanted to be and soak up all the good stuff. To be intentional about being present with my kids and not just their disciplinarian, dinner maker, and chauffeur.
I mean, I’m still all those things but I want to be more!
Ways to Be a Fun Mom
I want to become the fun and more present mom I know my kids really need. It’s not just about being fun but about building the foundation for a life-long relationship. Sure, I’ll always be their mom, but we don’t get a guaranteed ticket into their heart. And that’s where I want to be for a lifetime… in their most intimate place.
In this crazy upsidedown world, I want my kids to never hesitate on coming to me with every question, issue, and fear they experience so I can lovingly help them through it.
Let me tell you, your kids won’t be rushing to you as the uptight, super strict, and always shouting mom. Heck no!
And I’m not talking about doing things to become your child’s friend either. Nope! You are their parent and should be respected as such. But we can be nice and welcoming in how we relate to our kids.
Sure, we all have days when our precious little ones just get on your last nerve and you feel like snapping and are miles away from “fun-town.”
Just try doing these things little by little and I promise you’ll see a difference. And you and your kids will be so grateful you did!
Let me just give you one disclaimer first. The younger your kids are the cooler these activities will seem to them. The older your kids get, the more they’ll act like you’re embarrassing them or you’re being lame for trying.
Let me encourage you that this is just a facade and even your tweens and teens secretly love it when you make an effort to be interested in them even when you may actually be embarrassing them! So give these a try even if you don’t get the reaction you were hoping for.
51 Ways to be a Fun Mom
- Have random and undistracted conversations about whatever they bring up. Ask questions and actually be interested in what they say.
- Read a book aloud. This is great to do even as your kids get older in the form of a mystery or adventure novel. Here’s my complete kid book recommendations list.
- Make slime. Yes, it’s messy but they love it.
- Work on a fun activity kit together. These activity crates are my kids’ new obsession!
- Go on a scavenger hunt style nature walk. Make a list of things you want to see and score them by difficulty and keep score on the walk. Offer small prizes based on how many points earned.
- Race your kid at the park. The faster you are the cooler you appear to be.
- Make a craft.
- Go swimming.
- Play their favorite video game.
- Have a contest to see who can do ______ better, faster, neater.
- Let them miss a day at school to go to the movies. My husband actually did this one!
- Do what they love. If it’s soccer, play soccer with them. If it’s dance, learn the steps with them.
- Invite them to run errands with you and stop for ice cream.
- Cook a meal together. Here’s a kid’s cooking class that’ll your kids will love.
- Play Would You Rather. Here are some questions to get you started.
- Tell jokes.
- Watch a Netflix movie marathon complete with buttery popcorn.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Bake your favorite cookies and turn them into ice cream sandwiches.
- Go to a painting class.
- Keep a shared journal that you write in separately to share your thoughts. I love this journal! This one’s perfect for boys.
- Take a kid-friendly fitness class or enroll them in a kid’s fitness gym. My kids love this one.
- Work out together at the park.
- Visit a splash park in the summer.
- Read kid magazines together and take all the quizzes.
- Do silly pranks on each other.
- Make your kid laugh with a tickle fight.
- Have a silly face contest and post the winner on your social media or just laugh at it.
- Make a crazy milkshake.
- Have a spa night. My middle daughter loves this!
- Play superhero. My son equally loves this!
- Write a book together.
- Share an art journal if your child loves art. This is such a cute one!
- Have a dance party.
- Have a totally electronic device free day.
- Order books from a monthly subscription service for kids. This makes reading a fun and gift-like experience. My family loves this book subscription service that sends all their books wrapped like birthday gifts!
- Have themed dinner nights.
- Read a devotional together and work through the activities and questions. This fun devotional combines God and Science in a really fun way.
- Play their favorite sport at the park.
- Create an obstacle course in the backyard and race to complete it.
- Invest in the things they love. My daughter is a brilliant artist so I’m always surprising her with new sketch pads or other art supplies.
- Fly a kite.
- Have a slumber party in the living room.
- Let your kids get really messy. I personally don’t like when my kids get messy, but this is a sacrifice on my end to let them have fun.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Put on a full drama performance complete with scripts and costumes.
- Have a pajama day during the week.
- Build an epic fort in your living room.
- Have cuddle time with the child who will still let you. This is great for those kids whose love language is physical touch. Get 50 love language ideas for your kids here!
- Add glow sticks to your child’s bath and turn off the lights!
- Always give them your full attention no matter when they need you.
Wow! That’s a lot of fun for you and your kids. Are you ready to put this tips to good use? Your kids will thank you for it!
Did I miss an awesome fun idea? Please, share your favorite fun activities in the comments below.